Kian

Kian

Wednesday 17 March 2010

Multi-disciplinary meeting

Last week we had Kian's multi-disciplinary meeting at nursery. Physio, OT, Speech, Kian's other nursery's key worker attended alongside, me, Craig and Kian's nursery teacher.
Overall it was a positive meeting. Alot was spoken of how Kian has come on in personality and determination. His target from his physio, is to take 2 independant steps. She said it was an ambitious target but she felt with work and encouragement it was possible. We are waiting for a walker for Kian and also an appointment at a clinic for him to be measured for a lycra garment. Hopefully this will give him more stability.
OT is still working along the same lines of trying to have him on his tummy. But because he is quite determined not to be handled doing this they are going to think of other activites to encourage his co-ordination.
His teacher at his nursery said she felt Kian had settled in well.
His nursery key worker from his private nursery had lots of positive things to say of Kian. She also had in mind to created a book with photos of me and Dad, and then his favourite toys, and to say the words to him. She has noticed him making different sounds to certain words, for example "hello", and "look at this mess".
Our speech therapist felt we could not assume that Kian is making a particular sound to a word or an object as he would have to understand what the word or object means. This is where I find a large problem! All children can be SO underestimated. I know what words and objects Kian understands. I will ask him where something is and he will get it, for example, his ball, chair, train, boat, igglepiggle, the list actually does go on. I dont want to be opposed to our therapists opinion but I feel that opinions like that need backed up, and it wasnt. She see's Kian briefly at nursery and informed us that he is too tired to participate in her activities, after a physical activity. So I wonder what is being done about that? Nothing until we persist and pester, which you really do get tired of having to do. I say this as my opinion at the moment. Kian has developed with communication but I cant help feel that we are being let down by this service and that the therapist doesnt really know Kian. We do not have a regular date to see her which I requested at the meeting, to have. I will meet with her after easter. I am planning to film Kian as much as possible to show what Kian is able to do. I hope this will help in some way. I really want to have a positive opinion about this service, but I dont at this time. I may be seen as an awkward parent for asking for help. The majority of professionals have not come across whs, does this make Kian any less important than children with more well known conditions/syndromes. All our children deserve the best possible service available and more.
The nursery are going to create some pictures for home and private nursery to use for recognition. I see this as a positive approach.
Kian's statement will be begun in September, which will determine what help he does need and where his needs would be best met!

No comments:

Post a Comment