Kian

Kian

Saturday 15 May 2010

History continued - My dad

My dad suffered from Parkinsons Disease for years. He just lived with it, and it became normal that my dad had this illness. He could be quite funny but he could also have quite a huff if he wanted to. ??? I wonder where I get my huffiness from!

I could speak loads of my dad but I will try to keep it brief. He was over the moon when I found out I was pregnant. Even with his illness he was a massive help to us when Kian was born, and Kian has such looks and tendencies that really remind me and my dearest of my dad.

Now I am in the world of disability, Ive come across so much that would have benefited my dad. It is a shame that not many people take on the responsibility of letting people know what is out there to help and make life more enjoyable. My brother cared for my dad for 12 years, I imagine a very hard task, but I cant imagine anyone else who would have done it as well.

When Kian was diagnosed, as I have blogged before, I chose not to have the blood test on myself immediately. I wanted to focus on what Kian needed. When we thought more on the blood test and myself and Craig felt ready to have it, I would not have been surprised if the blood test came back with myself being a carrier. This I probably thought because of my families history. The test came back showing our chromosomes "normal". Again as I have blogged before, my dad had passed away 3 days before our results came. I would have liked my dad to have known the results. Kian was 17 months then. I know he wont remember his grandad but I know that my dad does live on in Kian. I think my dearest agree too.

Im not sure if I was relieved that I was not a carrier of the gene that can create WHS. Another parent told me that they felt if they had carried the gene, whs happening to their child would be be more understandable. Spontanius is how it was described to my family. I know of a family who did not do the test and have went on to have a healthy child. I know of parents who conceive and then have a test to see if their child has any problems. It is a hard, but personal choice to all. I dont think there is a right or wrong.

When I told Craig of hearing of a relation to someone I know miscarrying a child with WHS, he said " We were meant to have Kian". Im not sure of what I feel when it is said disabled children go to special people, we are not perfect, but I know that we were meant to have him, my Kian David Henaghan!

No comments:

Post a Comment